Get the most out of your Campeche visit!
Perla del Mar is located only 45 minutes from the state capital along the Gulf Coast. Campeche is a jumping off point for the whole Yucatan Peninsula, an incredible nexus of activity, with some of the finest sailing, fishing, kayaking, and off-roading anywhere on the Gulf Coast . Campeche Mexico has been a retreat for generations of Americans, Europeans and Canadians. People are coming here for something slightly different both in terms of culture and freedom. Whether that means a stroll on the beach, hiking, bird watching, fishing or simply enjoying the fine lobster.
CALAKMUL BIOSPHERE RESERVE
This nature reserve is located along with the ruins in the southeast of Campeche State. It was declared by the Mexican Government as an ecological reserved area on May 22, 1989. Occupying 723,185 hectares, it is the largest tropical nature reservation in Mexico.
Internationally, it represents an ecological link between the humid rain forests in Guatemala and the Lacondian Forest in Chiapas, Mexico.
It possesses an ecosystem of great importance, wealth, fragility and diversity. In order to get there, a 60 km south deviation must be taken inside the forest. It has protected animals like: the jaguar, the eagle, etc.
Historic Center (Main Plaza)
The Historical Center of Campeche was designed in the Renaissance stile of a “chess board” in accordance to the specifications of the Spanish Crown. On the square closest to the sea the central park was built and main town square.Though it was built for the people of the community, this square was used by the town elite, Spanish royalty and political authority for parties and ceremonies. The buildings enclosing the square were used for the government offices, The Cathedral, Navy offices, Customs and the most influent conquistadors’ houses.You can feel the presence of Campeche´s history when you stroll through the historical downtown streets. Since parts of the old fortress walls still remain, the legacy of pirates, conquerors and civil war lingers from the XIX century can be felt in the atmosphere.Now days the historical downtown of Campeche City, main center of business, cultural, administrative and tourist activities, is surrounded by buildings from the XVI, XVII, XVIII, and XIX centuries; and edifications with military, civil and religious architecture, as well as complex offices, and houses from the XX century, located in areas gained on the sea.
Located in the Main Square on 55th street between 8th and 10th streets downtown (Historical Center). In 1540 Francisco de Montejo´s son ordered the construction of a small church in honor of the Conceptions Virgin.
This construction was built with lime and pebble, with palm roof. On October 22, 1760, the construction of the Jesus Nazareno Chapel and the water side tower ended, the Española (the Spanish), where the first public clock was placed, with a written stone shield, which was destroyed after the Independence of Mexico. Between 1849 and 1850 the land side tower was built, known today as “La Campechana”, the beautiful clock placed on it in 1916 still works. The Chapel is located in the garden, on the right of the church is located the bishop's building.
Located in the Main Square, House #6 is a fully-furnished replica of a typical colonial style house. The entrance is free and has a restaurant and a bookstore and is also used as an information center.
Fort San Jose
Located to the north of the city, San Jose El Alto is one of two forts built to protect the city, complete with cannons and rifle slits. The fort is also home to the Ships and Weapons Museum displaying weapons and boats and items traded during the pirate era. Along the way you will see an impressive statue of Benito Juarez on the hilltop overlooking the city. Hours may vary open Tuesday - Sunday.
Fort San Miguel
Located 2.5 kms southwest of town, this 18th-century fort includes a moat and a drawbridge. General Santa Ana captured it when he attacked Campeche City in 1842. Inside is Campeche's archaeological museum, also known as the Mayan Culture Museum. It contains ceramics and jade masks found at nearby archaeological sites and rooms depicting Mayan astrology, war and their Gods.
To get to the fort, drive south along the coastal road towards the fishing village of Lerma until you reach the large statue of a man with a raised arm called the Resurgence of Campeche and then follow the signs. Tuesdays - Sundays.
City of EDZNÁ
For a glimpse at one of the Yucatán’s most important archaeological sites, head east about 60 km. to Edzná. The city flourished during the Classic period, and was a contemporary of Palenque. By 650 A.D. evidence suggests that the city was inhabited by as many as 70,000 Maya, Edzná then began to decline, and by 900 A.D., invaders had sacked the city. Ruins are currently scattered over 2 kilometers.The central plaza (160 m. long and 100 m. wide) contains some exquisite buildings such as Limestone temples, stucco masks, a ball court, an amphitheater, and a complex system of water canals place this site in an elite group of Mexico's most advanced Pre-Columbian cities. The towering Pyramid of the Five Niches (31 meters tall) can be seen as you approach the site. Visitor counts are small, allowing for leisurely, contemplative visits.
Inaugurated in 2000, this 3.5 km road along the waterfront is a beautiful place for families to spend time together, to see the sunset and enjoy the tranquility of the Gulf of Mexico. There are driving roads as well as biking and walking lanes and areas to sit and play.
Campeche, in eastern Mexico on the Yucatán Peninsula, covers an area of 56,789 square kilometers (21,926 square miles). Campeche is about the same size as the US state of Iowa. Campeche is bordered by the Mexican state of Quintana Roo on the east; by the Mexican state of Tabasco and the Gulf of Mexico on the west; by the Mexican state of Yucatán on the north; and by the Central American nation of Guatemala on the south. It is divided into eleven municipalities. The capital city is also called Campeche.
Campeche has 404 kilometers (252 miles) of coastline and includes the Isla del Carmen, Jaina, Triángulo, and Cayo Arcas.
The mountains (sierras) are situated in the northern and eastern parts of the state. A great flat plain stretches to the south. The region also includes cenotes,natural pools that formed when water seeped through the limestone of underground caves.
There are small lakes throughout Campeche, and the coastline is dotted with lagoons. The main rivers are the Candelaría and the Champotón. The Usumacinta forms the border with Tabasco. The Laguna de Términos (Términos Lagoon) lies on the southern part of the coastline with the Gulf of Mexico and is fed by several rivers, including the Candelaría.
Campeche state is home to many beautiful Mayan ruins, most located within miles of each other. These ruins are constructed in the unique "Rio Bec" style architecture which combines the styles of the both the Chenes and Peten cultures.
The Rio Bec style architecture is characterized by the use of well-cut stone blocks covered with stucco and rounded corners. The interior benches are wide and false temples and high towers are imbedded in the principal buildings. You will see many estelas and friezes and the most common decorative motifs are cross-shaped elements, symbols for wind and the masks of Itzimna, also called the Earth Monster.
The Edzna Ruins were founded around 400 B.C. and cover an area of approximately 3 by 3 kms. Edzna is located close to Campeche City and is not included in the Rio Bec Tour. Some technological advancements used at Edzna are as advanced system of hydraulic works and drainage systems. The city is located in the northern part of the state, 60 kms south-east of Campeche City.
A small set of ruins with an impressive room of friezes or stucco sculptures. One of the sculptures of a jaguar gave the site its name which means "Jaguar's Temple" in the Mayan language. There are only a few monuments here, but the largest contains a large set of sculptures inside the ruins which is impressive to see. Photography is allowed inside the monument, however flashes are not.
Chicanna is not a large Mayan site, but is well worth the visit. It's close to the road and very flat, so it's easy to see in about 1.5 hours.In Chicanna, the builders took advantage of the slightly high elevation to construct several groups of rooms and enclosures for carrying out ritual ceremonies. Evidence of occupation dates back to the period known as the Late Preclassic (300 BC to 200 AD) while the last stages of activity date to the Early Post classic (1100 AD). The ancient name is not known and was named Chicanna when discovered in 1966. The name refers to structure II which alludes to the House of the Serpent mouth. Chi, mouth, can, serpent and na, house.
Due to its location, dimensions and rich decoration of the buildings, it has been considered a small elitist center of Becan which possibly served as a residential zone for the rulers of Becan. The Ruins are located roughly 80 km from the central city of Campeche off of the local Highway 18.